Saturday, February 20, 2010

Real Fur Pillow made from Recycled Vintage Coat

I must be watching too much Project Runway lately, because I have just been dying to sew something! I came up with the idea to recycle vintage fur coats into pillows. The coats I use are bought second-hand and have areas of damage that are beyond repair. By turning them into pillows, I am giving these beautiful furs a new life and save them from going to the landfill. While some people may have ethical objections to the use of fur, I feel that the recycling of fur is relatively guilt-free. Also, by turning them into pillows, you can enjoy the fur in the privacy of your own home, without having to worry about a PETA activist throwing paint on your fur coat! Here is how I did it:

This is the coat I bought second-hand. The fur is very worn out on the sleeves, but the rest of the fur is in great condition:




The first step is to remove the lining.



Now you can see how all the pelts were pieced together, which I think is kind of cool.



Next, I cut off the sleeves and discard them, since they are too worn out to re-use. Then I use a template that I made out of cardboard to cut out the squares I need for the pillow.


I clip the two squares together, fur sides in:



I sew three sides and then turn the pillow inside out. Next I put in the pillow insert and a little extra stuffing at the corners to make sure that it is properly filled out.




The last step is to sew the pillow shut and voila!

To see more pictures of the finished pillows, please visit www.shopnicole.etsy.com






1 comment:

  1. the tough part is sewing the parts together. How to do this?

    ReplyDelete